Full program description
This certificate program includes two self-paced MiniCourses that introduce basic genetic engineering techniques using the CRISPR/Cas9 and Cre-lox technologies. Both courses cover foundational concepts and provide an overview of how to use these sophisticated new tools to investigate and understand the genome.
About our Education Offerings
Founded in 1929, The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees who are passionate about our mission: to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Introduction to CRISPR/Cas9 and Cre-lox Technologies Certificate Program includes two MiniCourses that each provide a basic overview of the genetic tool and how to use it to generate new mouse models. Each course is self-paced and takes 3 to 5 hours to complete:
- Basics of CRISPR/Cas9: CRISPR is one of the most important developments in genome engineering in recent years. This MiniCourse is designed to help the learner gain a basic, introductory understanding of utilizing the CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing technology in order to manipulate a gene of interest.
- Cre-lox Technology in Mouse Modeling: This MiniCourse provides an overview of the basic principles of the Cre-lox system to genetically engineer mice for human disease modeling. It outlines breeding strategies to create different types of mouse models and details how to navigate the JAX Cre Repository.
You can claim a Program Completion Certificate for completing all the MiniCourses in this program. You can also receive digital badges and Course Completion Certificates for each of the MiniCourses you complete.
This program is designed to meet the needs of graduate and post-doctoral students, research assistants, advanced undergraduate students, and advanced animal care technicians.
Hardware and Software Requirements
- Audio speakers or headphones
- Screen resolution of 800X600 or higher
- Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
Should you have questions regarding the content of the Certificate Program or if you need technical support, please email Online and Digital Education at The Jackson Laboratory.