Full program description
The Introduction to Colony Management MiniCourse Program consists of self-paced MiniCourses that provide an introduction to some important topics related to mouse colony management. These include:
- Sizing Mouse Colonies: Learn how to size experimental mouse colonies to accurately match your research needs in a consistent manner with a minimum use of resources!
- Genotyping Mice: Why is genotyping so important when working with mice in research? When should you genotype your mouse, and which strategy should you use? Learn how to successfully run a JAX protocol to genotype your JAX mice.
- Breeding Strategies: Simple to Complex: Depending on your research needs, breeding can be simple or complex. This course will help you figure out the most efficient breeding strategies for your experimental and control mice. Don't be afraid of Punnett squares!
Each MiniCourse is self-paced and takes 1 to 3 hours to complete. You can take the courses in any order. You can receive digital badges for each of the MiniCourses you complete.
This program is designed to meet the needs of people who are new to utilizing laboratory mice for genetic and genomic research projects, including graduate and postdoctoral students, research assistants, early career scientists, lab technicians and advanced undergraduates with a background in biology. For a more comprehensive Mouse Colony Management course, visit our Colony Management workshop.
About our Education Offerings
Founded in 1929, The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees who are passionate about our mission: to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
While we are not an accredited higher education institution, we offer a variety of education programs — including our non-credit bearing MiniCourses — designed to educate current and future scientists and to provide critical resources, data, tools and services to researchers worldwide.
MiniCourses are created and reviewed by multiple JAX faculty, scientists, educators and other experts, and include interactive content based on the live lectures delivered in our on-campus Courses, Conferences and Workshops.
MiniCourses are available to learners individually and in topical program collections, which are organized around both foundational content and the research areas in which The Jackson Laboratory has earned a reputation for scientific leadership and excellence.
Hardware and Software Requirements
- Audio speakers or headphones
- Screen resolution of 800X600 or higher
- Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
Should you have questions regarding the content of the Program or if you need technical support, please email Online and Digital Education at The Jackson Laboratory.