Reproductive Biology of the Laboratory Mouse
Sorry! The enrollment period is currently closed. Please check back soon.
Full course description
This MiniCourse is self-paced and takes 3 to 5 hours to complete. During this MiniCourse you will gain a good understanding of the reproductive biology of the laboratory mouse leading to optimal results in using mice model systems for research. Through selected readings you will relate reproductive biology research outcomes to clinical applications of human health. You will receive a certificate and digital badge for completing the MiniCourse. In order to claim a certificate or badge for this MiniCourse, you must go through the Core Content module and take the self-review quiz (scoring at least 70%).
The following topics will be discussed:
- Basic anatomy of the mouse reproductive system
- Determine mouse genders at all ages
- The reproductive states and the estrous cycle of the female laboratory mouse
- How to optimize biological and environmental conditions to maximize mouse breeding performance
- Practical applications and ethical considerations
By the end of the MiniCourse, you will be able to:
- Describe reproductive characteristics of the laboratory mouse
- Determine laboratory mouse sex at all ages
- Describe the basic anatomy of the male and female laboratory mouse
- Describe the fertilization process in mice
- Identify reproductive states of the female laboratory mouse
- Examine conditions that affect mouse breeding performance
- Relate mouse reproductive biology research to human fertility and infertility
- Examine ethical considerations in assisted reproductive technology
- Appraise current, relevant research highlights
This MiniCourse is designed to meet the needs of graduate and post-doctoral students, research assistants, advanced undergraduate students, and advanced animal care technicians.
About our Education Offerings
Founded in 1929, The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees who are passionate about our mission: to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and to empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
While we are not an accredited higher education institution, we offer a variety of education programs — including our non-credit bearing MiniCourses — designed to educate current and future scientists and to provide critical resources, data, tools and services to researchers worldwide.
MiniCourses are created and reviewed by multiple JAX faculty, scientists, educators and other experts, and include interactive content based on the live lectures delivered in our on-campus Courses, Conferences and Workshops.
MiniCourses are available to learners individually and in topical program collections, which are organized around both foundational content and the research areas in which The Jackson Laboratory has earned a reputation for scientific leadership and excellence.
Hardware and Software Requirements
- Audio speakers or headphones
- Screen resolution of 800X600 or higher
- Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
Check the basic computer specifications and supported browsers. Internet Explorer is not supported.
Should you have questions regarding the content of the MiniCourse or if you need technical support, please email Online and Digital Education at The Jackson Laboratory.